Thursday 31 March 2011

A visit to soho for some vintage shopping!

Now, my usual haunts for clothes are predominantly charity shops and carboots and ebay...but I'm not that often one for shopping vintage shops. In London they cost a bomb for the things I usually like. And there is generally a whole lot of 80's and 90's stuff that I hav no interest in to sift through in hope of finding something I may really want anyway. 
But on payday last week, after work a group of us took a trip to a couple of the soho vintage shops. And I must say, I was rather sucessful.

First stop was Beyond Retro, where I actually managed to find two things I really wanted!


  Embroidered cotton peasant top, £18. Hand quilted, cropped peach satin jacket, £25.

 Now, this is certainly more than I had been intending to spend, but when it came to it, I just couldn't put either back. The white cotton peasant top has hand embroidered cross-stitch all around the neckline; I can just imagine all the time that went into this when it was made! And I have been searching for a nice peasant top for so long (though, now, with its bright green running through it, I'm not sure what I have that is suited to wear with it just yet). I'm guessing it's maybe a 50's item? But I'm not sure, it could be 60's?
And then the shrug, well what can I say. It has been hand quilted with running stitch and has sating frog fastenings. I just thought it would be beautiful with the right tea dress for summer evenings out. Again, I'm not sure the exact date of this. And is it even an outer jacket?...it looks like it could even be a bed jacket (though if so, I think it needs repurposing as an evening jacket as I can't bear to hide this away from the world!).  Any guesses?
I am head-over-heels with these items, so although I was spending a fair amount in one go, they are unique things that were worth the investment.

So we toddled off to another shop and I swore I wouldn't be spending ANY money in the next store. We went to a shop on Berwick street that I'd always walked past but never thought to go into. Turns out it has a bargain basement where I just couldn't say no to THIS:

Vintage polyester blouse, £5.
WVS brooch: ebay, 99p (£2.00 p&p).

I was doing my best not to look at the rails, when my friend pulled out this blouse, handed it to me, and told me I had to have it. She was right. For one, it fit me (it is very rare for blouses not to gape at the front, but with this one's neck shape and small button and loop fastening, it was ideal). Also, it is just such a gorgeous, and now quite rare 1940's looking shape, with a small waist and peplum bottom. IT's 100% polyester and I can't quite work out when this would have been made- EDIT: it is a 70's item, thanks Vintage Vixen for your incredible knowledge!

And yes, thet is an original Womens Voluntary Service brooch you spy on the blouse, another ridiculous ebay bargain!

Yes, I am beginning to realise that it appears like I never stop spending, but I generally am quite good, honest!

Pip pip xx

6 comments:

  1. Keep spending - and sharing! It makes me feel better for NOT spending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Beyond Retro treats are lovely, especially the hippytastic blouse. The navy top is definately 1970's, I remember that style very well, they were actually two-pieces with a strappy knee length dress and had a skinny belt to match. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Charly,I'm doing my best to STOP now though. I just had a brief splurge for payday! Well, stop with the expensive spends andyway...I don't think I'll ever be able to stop with the charity shop spends!
    Ahhh amazing, thanks Vix! I knew I could rely on your bloggers to shed some light on the origins of these things, clever ladies that you all are! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tis a bed jacket and a lovely one at that! Great finds Tups x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh but when things were obviously made for you, how can you resist!! I have my eye out for a little jacket, I love the one from your last post too, perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice jacket! x
    Sarah
    http://lafilledejoujouelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I'd love to hear what you beauties think.